Ask a Cop?: Hit & Run……


—–Original Message—–
From: nina
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 9:29 PM
Subject: pedestrian hit by car

I live in Minnesota. I was at a stop light waiting for a car to go and I started to go and heard a thud (not a big one) I looked and I hit a guy. I asked him if he was ok and he said, "it is what it is dude" and got back on his skateboard and rode away. I pulled into the next parking lot and waited and he never came back. What do I do? Do I report it to the city police just in case. Will it hurt me or effect me in anyway to report it? Does my insurance go up? Help!

Here are some answers for you – Sorry for the delay…

Calling the Police is always the best idea. You can at least get a computer generated "incident" report number in the event the kid decided to call in a hit&run for whatever reason. That way you cannot be accused of "not reporting" the incident and be accused of a hit&run.


No victim, no crime….

Actually I agree with Ed, wouldn’t hurt to let your local PD know in case the kid calls in later after someone tells him to sue you. But with no name of the pedestrian, not much the PD can do. If you did get an incident number it shows you at least attempted to let someone know.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here